The Council of Europe and the Inspector General of Poland for Personal Data Protection held a European Conference on Data Protection in Warsaw on 19 and 20 November 2001 on the theme "Council of Europe Convention 108 for the Protection of Individuals with regard to Automatic Processing of Personal Data: Present and Future" on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of this Convention.
The Conference was held under the patronage of the President of Poland.
The main topics of the Conference were:
- data protection law: present and future responses to the challenges of the Information society;
- the relevance of the data protection principles set out in Convention 108 and its additional Protocol;
- mechanisms for implementation and international co-operation in the context of data protection;
- existing mechanisms and mechanisms to be established;
- the individual's position in a globalised information world: rights and obligations.